MensLine Australia is the national telephone and online support, information and referral service for men with family and relationship concerns. The service is available from anywhere in Australia and is staffed by professional counsellors, experienced in men’s issues. Through our dedicated counselling services, available through a range of modalities, MensLine provides:
- A safe and private place to talk about concerns;
- Confidential, anonymous and non-judgmental support;
- Coaching and practical strategies for managing personal relationship concerns;
- Relevant information and linkage to other appropriate services and programs as required.
MensLine Australia is managed by On the Line, Australia's leading professional telephone and online counselling and training provider.
This unique, dedicated service for men is an initiative of the Commonwealth Department of Social Services. It was launched in September 2001.
Who we help
MensLine Australia is for all men and all types of relationships. In particular it is for:
- Men who want to better manage a primary relationship difficulty and enhance an existing relationship with their wives, partners, children, work colleagues or anyone else in their lives;
- Men who have concerns about being a dad and want to improve their parenting skills;
- Men who are dealing with a separation or family breakdown and would like some support to manage this critical time appropriately;
- Men who have concerns about emotional wellbeing or anger management issues;
- Men who are dealing with family violence;
- Anyone who is worried about a male family member, partner or friend;
- Professionals working with men with family or relationship difficulties
The benefits of telephone and online counselling are particularly attractive to men, who often find it tough to ask for help and can find face-to-face discussions about difficult issues confronting. Unlike face-to-face counselling, telephone and online counselling provide:
- visual privacy
- a high level of control by the client over the situation
- an immediate response
- anonymity, enabling greater honesty in the client a ‘quicker’ counselling process
MensLine Australia offers a private and safe environment for guys to talk about their problems. Over the phone or online, callers are anonymous and can retain more control over what happens.
A counselling style preferred by men
When faced with a problem, men are often more focused on outcomes and practical solutions than their emotions and internal world. MensLine Australia counsellors recognise this preference and offer a down-to-earth, practical approach to counselling, whilst also encouraging men to deal with important emotional issues in an effective way.
Relevant information and referral to men’s services
Although relationship and family problems can be traumatic for all concerned, it can be particularly difficult for men whose coping strategies are often limited. MensLine Australia’s counsellors have ready access to relevant information and referral to men’s services at any time and from anywhere in the country.
Professional support for men across Australia
MensLine is committed to supporting men in rural and regional Australia with our new models of service delivery. Our video counselling service provides vital professional support for men across Australia, many of whom would not otherwise be able access face-to-face counselling because of geographical or social isolation.